20s & 30s Conference '20: Talk 2 The Power of Cross-shaped Love with Santosh Thomas
How can we be a force of good in the world? Santosh Thomas opens up John 13: 31-38 and explores how Jesus' first disciples are taught to love one another as Jesus has loved them and how we an do that as churches in a world full of darkness.
1. Jesus was heading for glory! v31-33
2. Disciples are called to love one another as Jesus has loved us! v34-35
3. Even the strongest disciple will fail Jesus v36-38
1. What do we naturally think will attract our friends and neighbours to Jesus?
2. How does Jesus’ command in v34-35 challenge or inspire you?
3. What are some of the dangers of interpreting ‘love one another’ just to suit our personal or desires or cultural norms? How does ‘as I have loved you’ clarify what this really means?
4. How practically can we love one another in this Christlike cross-shaped way at the moment? What might be some of the barrier in our hearts and minds?
5. How does the example of Peter (v36-38) challenge or encourage us? Given how tough the past few months have been, how might we encourage one another when we fail and let Jesus down? Are our relationships deep enough to do this honestly?
6. What one thing would we like to take away and put into practice from this weekend. How practically will we encourage one another to be do-ers and not just hearers of the word? "
Santhosh Thomas is one of the pastors at Dundonald Church, with special responsibility for overseeing our small groups and various teaching and discipleship programmes. Born and raised in London, he has previously worked in churches in Oxford and Central London. He’s married to Jess and along with their two young children they enjoy sport, swings and meeting new people!
The Jesmond Partnership 20s & 30s Conference is held each year for the congregations of Jesmond Parish Church, St Joseph's Benwell Church and Holy Trinity Gateshead - a group of evangelical churches in the North East of England. See www.church.org.uk for more details.
Please subscribe to the Clayton TV weekly emailout for what's new on the channel.